Browsing the archives for the Dreams of Amarna category

More on the Packing Case

Having unpicked my experiments, I decided on a new approach.. Actually, a digression here. A lot of people talk of test-stitching, by which they mean trying something out, but not on the real thing. I did that with all those goldwork stitches in the Tudor and Stuart Goldwork Masterclass, but as a general rule, my […]

10 Comments

More progress on Loading The Felucca

While I was working on the packing case, which is the first embellished section I will be applying, it occurred to me that for those occasions when the light was a little marginal (grey-ish yellow is a difficult colour to stitch in poor light!) I could perhaps prepare a layer that would be applied to […]

10 Comments

Loading the Felucca – starting on the packing case

Since appliqué is a layered technique, I had  to work forwards from the most distant object. For this subject – once the background was in place, that was the packing case. The first thing I had to do was to work out how I was going to represent the lengths of wood running as bracing […]

9 Comments

Loading the Felucca

Here is another one of the photographs from the Egypt Exploration Society that I would like to represent in some way. The expedition felucca was loaded with all the excavated finds and taken to Cairo so that the Cairo Museum Director could choose what would be retained for their collection. The carpenter spent weeks making […]

11 Comments

The Second Crest for the Dig

Last month, I had made several unsatisfactory trials with silver thread, and took my headaches to the Harrogate Knitting and Stitching Show to ask advice on the Golden Hinde stand. I got to the show with about 40 minutes to go of the Thursday evening late opening, which meant that the aisles were relatively clear […]

9 Comments

Experiments with A Marudai

I’ve been fascinated by Kumihimo braiding for ages. I first heard about it many years ago from a mathematician friend of my husband’s. Quite why, I can’t now recall, unless it was a desperate attempt on the part of the mathematician to find something textile-related to talk to me about. Jolly decent of him, don’t […]

14 Comments

A Dilemma

Now, you may recall from when I began the first one that there are to be two Crests, one for each panel, balancing each other. Furthermore, since there will be a gauze overlay, everything has to have the visual strength to show through it. I don’t think that this silver thread has enough force or […]

12 Comments

The First Crest for The Dig – Finished

The Cloud Filling Stitch variation that creates the ripple effect is fairly easy to do, and once I had decided to get working on it, finishing the first panel really ripped along. As you see, I’ve not been too pernickety about spacing. It would have been possible, but it wouldn’t have been in keeping with […]

10 Comments

Progress on the Crest for the Dig

The goldwork on the Crest for the Dig went rather quickly, and I found myself running straight into a brick wall. I narrowed my background choices down to two, and then stopped. I’ve even extended the patches of trial background, and propped the frame up to stare at. The arrowhead stitches create a subtle effect; […]

7 Comments

The Plan for the Dreams of Amarna

I had several very useful comments after my last post, but they all (understandably!) failed to take into account my overall plan for this project. So, a quick re-cap, for the benefit of everyone who hasn’t (unlike me) been thinking about the Dreams of Amarna for the last twenty years. I first wrote about this […]

10 Comments